Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
fireplace33
Senior MemberPosts: 1,308Gear list
Like?
Re: Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO
In reply to edo21, Mar 26, 2013

I'm surprised that the OP has been accussed of underexposing his first shot.The sky is already blown in the brightest parts near the horizon in that shot. That must have shown up as a line of blinkies in the LCD.

The sky looks quite interesting as it is and to expose more would have blown more of that sky and produced just a completly flat white splodge near the horizon.

I agree that the buildings do look too dark and I would have brightend them in pp, leaving the highlights alone;  a quick and easy step to pull up the shadows. (but that doesn't help the noise either)

IMO,...

The OP used F8 which is probably a setting that gives a reasonably sharp image for that lens, maybe opening somewhat would have also been OK and helped somewhat too.  1/250s is usually also OK for handheld shot. Yes, of course, a tripod is better  but  I  don't have a tripod with me all the time, so 1/250 seems also a  reasonable choice in his case.

And with the light levels as they were at that time this obviously gave a resulting ISO of  1600. Now that doesn't sound like an unreasonable choice of ISO for a high end camera.

And using ISO 100 and tripods all the time doesn't sound that realistic to me; we buy expensive cameras to be able to push the limits beyond ISO 100 and a tripod!

I can imagine the OP was somewhat disappointed with the noise in that first shot, despite all the technical arguments in this thread.

fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lessNew
noneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow