Started Mar 26, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jaygreg
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Software - Request for recommendation
Mar 26, 2013

First off... I'm out of my element. I barely know which end of a camera to use. I am, however, fairly computer literate for a geezer, and am interested in moving more into multimedia.

The issue at hand is this: Quickly find a selection of digital photos from among hundreds then quickly assemble and arrange them in order for a slide show? So... what software shold I use to begin this task of digitizing old photos then creating a database?

There will be need to give other family members access to the database so they can add and manipulate it once I've loaded it with all the photos I care to. I don't know if the search key for this project will be simply the file name, thus forcing me to categorize everything in the title or if there are programs that create digital codes that assist in sorting. Ideally, I see the task of entering a photo as simply filling out a fixed form that assigns a code ("P1 through end of dbase") to a person's name, ID's a branch of the family, ID's a period in time (1850 - 1874... then 10 year increments starting in 1900), ID an event (childhood, wedding, Xmas, etc.), and a free-form field for whatever might be in the title of a photo if one is given.

Hopefully there is software available that does this to some acceptable degree... and maybe even more. This will be a one-time project for me then probably maintained simply by exchanging digital photos of current family members as time passes. I have an Epson Artisan 810 which I plan to use to digitize these photos.... unless that proves too laborious and forces me to loose interest at which point I may want to farm it out ... if it doesn't prove too expensive ($100 perhaps? There are probably 200 to 300 photos that just I would be dealing with).

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow