Started Mar 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
BorisK1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,088Gear list
Like?
Re: French review of TG-2, note the high ISO performance
In reply to Robert Anderson, Mar 26, 2013

Robert Anderson wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

Soinds like a fun project! Would a 3D-printed box be strong enough though? And how would you get the transperency? You might be better off using a CNC mill to cut it out of a plexiglass brick. And even then, how would you make the waterproof seal?

There are lots of new plastics available including some that are water-clear. We had a pump prototype made recently where the rotor and housing were 3d printed plastic. We were able to test the design pumping a slurry of mud and small gravel. It worked great. You can 3d print a model and cast silicone around it, then use the silicone to make multiple parts from different plastics. It is now possible to print in 3d using sintered metal fused with a laser.

I would probably print the housing with an open back and use a flat piece of lexan for the rear cover. I would attach the front lens with a flexible bellows so that it could collapse when the camera is powered down. The only buttons I really need to use are the power, shutter and zoom. This design would not be for real underwater use but should survive an occasional dunking.

Wow, those things are progressing at an amazing pace!  Transparent plastic, with enough precision to make a working pump, right out of the printer - that is impressive!

I read about metal 3D printing (DMLS/SLM), but my impression was that you pretty much need NASA budget to do it.  At least in 2012, there were something like 300 metal laser synthering machines in the entire world, and their time and material weren't cheap.  But if you do have the money, they are amazing - printing with 20-50 micron resolution, and use a variety of metals, from bronze and aluminum to titanium, chromium alloys, stainless steel, and even low-grade tooling steel.

I'm a bit dubious about the bellows idea - the box will contain a constant amount of air, so it will have to be either always extended (well, at least partly), or you'd have the lens-extending motor pushing against the atmospheric pressure.

I guess, if I were making a waterproof housing as a hobby project, I'd probably start with a clear OtterBox of a right size, cut out some holes and glue in the missing pieces for the lens and to push the buttons.

Anyway, the project sounds like a lot of fun.  Let us know how it goes!

Boris

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow