Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,912Gear list
Like?
Re: Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO
In reply to six34sigma, Mar 26, 2013

six34sigma wrote:

Don't have any photos to post, they are at home but at ISO 1600 with a properly exposed image my pictures are quite usable and in fact the portraits I took are outstanding. With my D90 800 ISO is about max. My perception and limited to the 60 photo's I have taken so far is that I have at least a one stop advantage over a D90 .... perhaps 2.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

Understandable, particularly at typical viewing resolution.  What the OP and all of us here are trying to get our heads around is that the D7100's greatest strength is when you don't view at 100%.  It may be the world's best 12MP DX camera.

All this is saying that the bulk physical characteristics of the DX Bayer sensor have not improved greatly since the D90.  QE is up, but perhaps by 25%: once you pass 50%, it's dang hard to rapidly improve. Read noise is exceptionally low.  We're already near 1e- per pixel (the D7100 sensor reaches 1.4e- at ISO 6400, 1.9e- on average everwhere else). It's dang hard to rapidly improve. Our well capacities are staying high.  Tough to make deeper wells when your fabrication process requires fairly shallow silicon layers to go along with the very fine lateral feature sizes.

Welcome to computational photography.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lessNew
noneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow