Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pmow
Contributing MemberPosts: 769Gear list
Like?
Graduated ND Filters
Mar 26, 2013

I checked out these rectangular filters about a year ago, after taking some shots during the summer and failing miserably to compensate for a severe backlight.  Sure, I compensated, but then the sky behind my subjects was blown out.  Since they were human, I couldn't use HDR.

Summers here in Miami are frequently harsh for exposing properly.  There's a fine line between getting tan, and getting burned, and the same goes for sunny photos!

I first looked at Lee filters, which are rather expensive for what I needed.  Some of their systems are $200+, and they didn't seem to have any made for the mirrorless market (the smallest being 75mm).  I wanted to dabble, not invest in something I may not use much.

A year later, I came across Cokin.  This french company has kits selling for around $80 on amazon.  The "A" series is designed for lenses up to 62mm wide (almost all of my lenses) and there are other systems available if you need to go wider.  Most of my lenses are 49mm, so I got one step-up ring.

My only issue is that I shoot often with the nifty fifty, and reviewing their website wasn't was helpful when trying to find a "hard" gradation.  However the filter kit came with a printed catalog sheet which was much better, and I'm set on purchasing one additional filter with a harder grade.

pmow's gear list:pmow's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow