Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 12,408Gear list
Re: saccharin street
In reply to hexar, Mar 26, 2013

hexar wrote:

Going trhrough my files I found some more dogs . Maybe o.k. to display them in one go here.

Have a nice doggy day !

HEXAR

Dogs are harder to photograph than cats, but usually more interesting when the shot works.

When a dog is carried, the perspective problem is solved, since the animal is much closer to eye level.

Contrary to appearances, I am not a tele fanatic. I keep my zoom set to 35mm to give a preference to WA (and because these shots often have less margin for timing error.) But WA shots are more difficult.

In some of you shots, the money part of the shot is very small because of the distance and focal length. So a longer FL and a lower angle might have helped realize your vision.

The other thing, if we are going to make our doggie shots wag their tails, is to catch a moment where the dog reveals its personality, relationship or provides some kind of absurd comment on modern life.

I like the shot above because of the excellent background and the vertical elements justify the image. And the relationship of dog to master is beautifully expressed. The lack of other people makes us focus on the two, who are absorbed in each other, the doggie-human dance, and oblivious of the stark emptiness of the street. At the risk of actually being pretentious, the Latin word for play, ludus, comes to mind and how ludus can give meaning to even the most banal of every day moments.

HCB: http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=SearchDetail_VPage&IID=2S5RYD13B6XT

Not being of the midcentury modern school (or only of it a little bit), I like photos that make me think about the human comedy, at once tender and absurd.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon D810 +9 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow