Is this something I should worry about?

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Questions thread
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 3,728
Like?
Re: Is this something I should worry about?
In reply to Whalligeo, Mar 26, 2013

Whalligeo wrote:

photoreddi wrote:

Sensei Mike wrote:

Hi photoreddi, it's more like a light red or pink haze around and above the smokestack.

Ok, now that I'm not looking for a red line I can see what you're describing. I have a feeling that if that huge red structure was green, the photo might have had a light green haze instead. It does seem odd that the reddish haze extends down below the top of the smokestack, but that might be because whatever is reflecting the reddish light isn't being emitted from the smokestack, maybe it's steam or something else rising from something closer to the ground. If it's not seen at other times, it could either be because the emissions only happens occasionally, or because the reflections are only picked up when the sun is in the right location in the sky. A good way to figure out if it's being caused by local conditions or by the D7100 would be to regularly take photos with the D7100 and another camera, and then see if the red haze is only seen in the D7100's photos, or if it's seen in some of the photos from both cameras, but only in the photos that are shot at the same time.

Have a look at the emissions from the other stacks and direction they go. This cannot be something from a stack or steam rising.

You're right, I noticed that after I posted. It would be too far-fetched to argue that a sudden local inversion near the smokestack is to blame.

The suggestion that it might be from flare resulting from a viewfinder light leak sounded promising until the OP nixed that idea. He did say though that he shot the photo from the passenger seat of a car, so perhaps some flare was produced by reflections from some nearby shiny metallic object. Just when he's needed most, Sherlock's not to be found. The game's afoot.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow