Was Ready to Buy a NEX 6 but DP Review Leaves Me Cold.

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
doinksdoinks
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Re: I have an OMD and NEX
In reply to Tapper123, Mar 26, 2013

Tapper123 wrote:

Spitze wrote:

Really need a new travel camera as my Canon G12 is long in the tooth. I was thinking the Sony NEX 6 might be the best compact APS-C camera to buy for travel purposes. At home, I use a Canon 5D II but don't want to lug this to Europe. The JPEG images at the DP Review comparing the NEX 6 to the Olympus seem to strongly favor the Olympus PM-D E-M5 even though it has a smaller sensor. Any advice strongly appreciated. Any other choices to consider?. Cost not a major factor.

I recently bought an OMD EM5, and I own a NEX F3 since last summer.

Both are great cameras, but MFT lens selection is far superior, and that was my main motivation.

Having said that, I still think NEX has slightly better IQ, but OMD is not bad.

For travel, I think OMD is perfect. First of all, it's weather sealed, as is the pretty good 12-50 kit lens, and some other MFT lenses like the 60 Macro (which I also got). IMO weather sealing is a big plus for travel and trips. Secondly, the lenses are so small (most of them). If you like nature macros, I think OMD + 60 Macro is the best thing going right now.

My heart is still with NEX system (some great memories were captured with it for me), but the OMD has a lot to offer.

your omd is 2x - almost 3x the price of your nex f3. with that price of course you will get better specs indeed

doinksdoinks's gear list:doinksdoinks's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow