Food for thought - FF vs M4/3's cost

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347Gear list
Like?
Re: Can't say I'd noticed....
In reply to papillon_65, Mar 26, 2013

The 40/2.8 is great, it's scary sharp at f2.8 and is a FF lens - my first one was decentred and my first thought on seeing the pics (the 5DmkII doesn't help with the 1.7 stops of corner shading either, so not good for JPEG shooters with older FF cameras) was "what have I done, a waste of £149". Luckily I noticed the left side was better, sent it back and the replacement is a star. I also got my GH3 with the 12-35 just as the 40 came back, so shot the same brick wall with it (in case of lightning striking twice). Even stopped down the difference was great (in favour of the 40 wide-open). It's a 20/1.7 for Canon FF, and I'm pretty sure that's where they got the idea from.

P.S. I'm not a fan of the 17-40 on FF (hate the corners) but it isn't bad value for money and I have friends who love it (we call it the "Marmite Lens" - you either love it or hate it). I'd say the 24-105 is the best walk-around lens though.

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow