Food for thought - FF vs M4/3's cost

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,154Gear list
Like?
Re: Food for thought - FF vs M4/3's cost
In reply to JamieTux, Mar 26, 2013

JamieTux wrote:

The 17-40L is a nice lens, but it's closer to the 9-18 than the 7-14 in optical quality (and coverage) and the 24-105 is OK, but it's not top of the range, nor are the primes you mentioned (especially the 35 f2).

So it's not really a like for like - and in studio conditions I actually resolved more detail with the OMD and 45mm f1.8 than I did with a 5D mark ii and the 100mm f2.8 Macro. It was a real eye opener for me and ended with me selling my FF gear a month or so ago - the OM-D also has higher dynamic range.

But for images in less optimal conditions and for the choice of lenses - I can see the attraction for the Canon still (by the way the metering of the Canon is about the least reliable of any camera I've ever used - but the AF is a lot better than it's given credit for by most people).

17-40 is a cheap and popular EF "L" lens. But it has problems on a FF body. It is vignetting a lot and has very soft corners, it's in fact worse than 9-18, at largest aperture  But if you stop down the picture changes a little and 17-40 becomes better than 9-18. So they don't perform similarly.

17-40 works best on an APS as a standard zoom where it doesn't suffer from vignetting or corner softness. On the other hand the dedicated APS lens EF-S 17-55/2,8 is much better, but with no desirable  "L" or red ring.

I have been wondering a lot how the 24-105, another very popular FF "kit lens", stands in comparison to the 12-50 kit lens. I don't think the 12-50 is much worse. Same reach, but slower in the longer end though.

I don't feel very much attracted to any Canon camera today, though I have used Canon a lot before. I have thought of an used 5DII or a real pro body like the 1DsII which you can get to reasonable prices today, but with good lenses the cost rises too fast.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow