Was Ready to Buy a NEX 6 but DP Review Leaves Me Cold.

Started Mar 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,460Gear list
Like?
Re: Was Ready to Buy a NEX 6 but DP Review Leaves Me Cold.
In reply to Spitze, Mar 26, 2013

The DPR comparison tool while cool and sometimes informative is not perfect. I find quite a bit of variation between test shots as to exactly which area of the scene is in the best focus. If you move the zoom view throughout the scene, you should notice this. (In DPR's defense, these types of critical comparisons can be awfully tricky - and of course most of the time different sensors are also being compared with different lenses.)

I have noticed that sometimes the NEX-7 samples look even better than most of the full-frame samples, but in one spot where the NEX-7 is out of focus, a point-and-shoot does better. That's why I think of the DPR widget as being more of a "importance of critical focus demonstration tool".

I wouldn't have any hesitation about getting a NEX-6 for my high-IQ travel camera. Except I already have a 7.

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow