Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Placation101
Regular MemberPosts: 455
Like?
Re: You let Nikon process
In reply to mistermejia, Mar 26, 2013

Again, the AF itself seems fantastic, but i am not a bird shooter, and only from what i am seeing and reading (not based on "my" opinion) i get the feeling that this camera has been designed for something like that, and not so much for the higher ISO performance. I am not saying the performance is bad, is just that the K5IIs seems to be performing better overall and maintaining that cleaner higher ISO quality.

Perhaps that is why some other folks here HAVE mentioned "if" Nikon would have left this camera at 16 or 18MP. Is it not true that Nikon has sacrificed higher ISO quality for sharpness at the lower ISO with this camera? I could be totally wrong, your insight is always helpful and i am just trying to learn more here.

.No its not true you are sacrificing high iso. D800 proves that yes you will get more noise at a pixel level. But when viewed at the same size or downsampled to the same mega pixels you get about the same performance out of the same generation of sensors. The problem is everyone zooms to 100% and is disturbed by the amount of noise. If you do this with a d600 and a d800, the d600 easily beats the d800 in noise. But looking at the same size or postprocessed correctly you obtain very similar results.

When you use dxomark comparing different MP cameras you must use PRINT not SCREEN. the d7100 or d5200 are nowhere near the fx noise wise. Dynamic rangeis close, but actual noise is not at all more than a stop difference.

All that to say that no if they left it at 16 to 18 MP no you would still have the same measurement of a max iso in the 800-1600 level.

Stop looking at a pentax kii and d7100 at 100% each its not the same thing you will find the same iso performance. Yeah if you never plan to postprocess ever stick to 12MP and you will be happy. Otherwise get lightroom and learn the truth that you actually now have noise performance and amazing detail.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lessNew
noneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow