real d800 vs em5

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
zxaar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,252
Like?
Re: Still haven't learned what's "real" about this comparison...
In reply to Adventsam, Mar 26, 2013

Adventsam wrote:

For me taking an image is all about the ability to put the camera to my eye and having a responsive experience, twin dials and plenty of buttons certainly help in this regard and also a great buffer and fast af too, so unless I'm mistaken the cameras you mention, rx100/nex are low performance devices with sluggish interfaces and poor ergonomics. I compared the omd against the studio samples I could find for the 24mp aps-c sensors to see what I was missing and to my amazement omd is actually better, yes an upres'd 16mp m43 in detail and perceivable dr and noise upto iso6400 the omd fairs better than a 24mp d5200, this shocked me. So I compared it to full frame d600, same, omd is on a par upto iso6400, hmm. So I thought can this actually be the same for the d800, sadly no with the studio and sample images I have, but hey we have to draw the line somewhere. The d800/omd samples for the scene comparisons I too am not happy with their colour etc but it provides a point of perspective. The gap for the OMD is basically too big to bridge, but its not that far behind when you do the sharpening at the end, however it means the d800 could easily go to 40-50mp upres'd too imo in which case it was never a fair comparison For sheer resolution and dr the d800 is simply a very very good camera and I now see the d600 as a complete waste of time if I ever wanted FF.

Do you have any facts to share . So far all you got is lots of opinions.

marike6 wrote:

All I can say is that until you've actually worked with D800 RAW files, you probably don't have a good sense of just how incredibly good D800 files are. The excellent DR, colors, and extraordinary D3s level high ISO ability aside, the 36 mp files offer tremendous options for cropping that just aren't available with my GH2.

Similarly, unless you've peered through it's large, bright OVF it's really difficult to evaluate or compare another camera to a quality FF DSLR like the D800 in any meaningful way.

Are there smaller cameras that have excellent IQ? Of course. Are cameras like the OMD or D7100 all the camera some will ever need? Of course. The IQ from the OMD may be more than good enough for most. And for certain types of shooting, it's small size is a plus. But if that is the argument in favor of the EM5 vs D800, it's kind of a weak one. With similar logic then a camera like the RX100 may actually be better for many users than the OMD as it's smaller, pocketable and IQ is more than many will ever need.

We might conclude that "IQ from the RX100 is excellent. While it's not as good as some larger, more expensive cameras, it may be all the camera most will ever need". My big question is: so what?

Why have a camera EM5 vs D800 comparison to simply conclude that "it's smaller and good enough for most"? So are a lot of cameras.

Yesterday I bought a NEX-3N. It's inexpensive, absolutely tiny and has focus peaking so I can easily adapt my AIS Nikkors. The NEX-3N has superb IQ that would satisfy even the most demanding pixel peeping users. Does that mean I'm going to sell my D800? Of course not. Even if by some fluke IQ matched the D800, it's small size is not always a bonus. Small cameras usually don't handle as well as larger, more robust cameras, files from the 3N are not as detailed, high ISO ability is nowhere near the D800, DOF control is not as good, and without the ability to accurately track moving subjects it's much less versatile of a camera.

By the way, neither of the sample images show off the best of either camera. The D800 is capable of much more impressive, detailed files, as is the OMD. I still have to wonder, where are all the OMD vs D7100 or OMD vs NEX-6 comparisons on this forum? Those might actually be a bit more realistic. This particular comparison against one of the best FF DSLRs ever made is not one the OMD can win. Except if you want to argue "it's smaller and more than enough camera for most users".

Cheers, and happy shooting, Markus

-- hide signature --

::> Knowledge is mother of efficiency.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow