Travel-light option for Formula 1 with a d800

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Questions thread
jubilatu
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?
Re: Travel-light option for Formula 1 with a d800
In reply to jubilatu, Mar 26, 2013

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. And very nice pictures, BTW !

cosmicnode wrote:

Rent the 80-400 and a 1.4x convertor, its the only viable option, at all modern F1 tracks you are a long way from the action, a 70-200 is effectively a wide angle. You will find that in order to get the best shots it is important to be at the practice sessions and wander around the track to find different vantage points. I find that in order to eliminate the catch fencing you have to move to the top of the grandstands which moves you further away from the track, thus requiring the longer lenses. There will always be a few places where you can use a shorter lens and the 80-400 will if you can find them also be used at the short end.

Thanks god you do not have the Sigma 200-500 f2.8 ! Now, seriously, if you are in the Emirates, i'll gladly rent your lens.

wasserball wrote:

You need the AF-S 400mm f2.8G VR lens. Nothing else will help you under artificial light
AD GP F1 race conditions. You can rent mine.

I do not travel especially for taking pictures, but to see the race (and for my wife to see the Dubai malls). Nevertheless it will be a shame to take blurry pics. Unfortunately, i could not find any renting facilities for super telephoto, neither in romania, nor in the Emirates. Still diggin'.

RBFresno wrote:

But if I were traveling a long way to shoot a special fast moving event at night, I'd strongly consider fast glass like the 400 VR.

You might be faced with the choice of taking a lighter lens and getting blurred and/or out of focus pictures or taking a heavier lens and getting much better pictures...

With what little I know, I would consider renting a 400VR and TC 1.4 to have in my pocket, just in case.

Something to think about.

-- hide signature --

Please forgive my grammar but if you find it inconceivable address me in romanian.

--
Please forgive my grammar but if you find it inconceivable address me in romanian.

jubilatu's gear list:jubilatu's gear list
Nikon D800 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow