Best travel tele for full frame?

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Doug_PS
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
Re: Best travel tele for full frame?
In reply to bahula, Mar 26, 2013

bahula wrote:

None of the three lenses listed is really going to fit all of your criteria- the 100mm f2 is the only one I'd call light weight or compact and the 135mm f2 is the only one that'll come close for architectural detail from street level without a lot of cropping. The 100mm f2.8 macro is a wonderful lens, but it's the largest of the three and almost as heavy as the 135mm, so unless you have a good case for macro usage, I'd cross it off the list. It sounds like you have a better case for the 100mm f2 unless the extra reach of the 135mm is going to be critical for you...and that should be easy to figure out.

I just got back from a trip from Paris over Christmas where I had the 5DMKII and both the 85 1.8 & 135 f/2.0L. I agree wholeheartedly with the above statements. The 851.8 (ie equivalent in my mind to the 100 2.0) is the lightweight and compact option and I found it more useful in general for the tight Paris streets...and is an exceptional lens! However, the 135 produced the "wow" photos with its dreamy boheh and exceptional color and contrast.....although it got more occasional use.....and was very useful for architectural detail from street level....where I had sufficient distance to work! I'm glad I had both with me......although one was always back at the hotel!

Doug_PS's gear list:Doug_PS's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow