The X100s is far a better camera than the X100, but...

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Brad Davis
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
Re: The X100s is far a better camera than the X100, but...
In reply to cptrios, Mar 26, 2013

cptrios wrote:

palincss wrote:

I don't get it. In view of this: "Wow. What a better camera it is. Faster in every possible way. AF now caught my kids as fast as any camera. Manual focus is a dream." why wouldn't it be a "keeper"?

Not worth all of the extra money, perhaps? It costs around twice as much as a used X100 right now...definitely not chump change.

I too am a bit reluctant toward the X100s in IQ terms. The X100's RAW files have a bit of unquantifiable "magic" that the X100s's (OK seriously, they should have chosen a different letter than "s!") lacks. The X100s's IQ is definitely better in plenty of other ways - high ISO being the biggest - but the prospect of giving up that je ne sais quoi is kind of sad. The X100s is undeniably a better camera mechanically, though.

Bingo..."costs around twice as much as a used X100 right now..."

I'm thinking of picking up a used X100 for a four day trek on the Inca Trail and visit to Machu Picchu.  Honestly, I'm a bit concerned about the fixed focal length, but not crazy about lugging my FF DSLR and pro glass on the trail!  Also looking at the new NEX-6 with the power zoom......really curious about folks thoughts on the X100 for this outing if you'd care to share.

I have a quick trip to Germany next month and was thinking of renting an X100 for the week and see how that works out......

Thanks!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow