Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,198
Like?
Re: Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO
In reply to edo21, Mar 25, 2013

edo21 wrote:

...Up to now all the images that I use for my works are jpgs, converted and not modified NEF files with View NX

Again, this forum now iis full of D7100 pictures at 3200 ISO that appear perfect.
Unfortunately, these are not the results that I got.
What I would like to share with you is to know if after 5 years from the release of the D90 from a new camera concepts like the D7100 might be expected to arrive in 1600 with good iso files.

As everybody says, you should stop viewing your files at 100% and rather compare at the same size as you get viewing D90 files at its 100%.

Second, there is always a noise-reduction trade-off: heavier NR conceals noise but takes detail away. Have you tried adjusting high-ISO NR in camera? Both in-camera and in VNX there is not much to do regarding NR at low ISO. I believe CNX2 lets you modify this. You could set a default if you don't like to play with conversion.

Noise is known to become more obvious in uniform darker areas (deep blue skies etc). Those other better images may be brighter or may at least contain busy detail in darker parts.

Are you using ADL? Higher levels of ADL are known to boost noise in the lifted shadows a bit more than necessary, so better turn it off. If you insist on using it, you can get cleaner shadows with ADL if you shoot a stop or two higher (so that you get some blinkies), then take that stop or two away in NX. The silly part is that it is difficult to say how much exactly you can afford without blowing the highlights in raw.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lessNew
noneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow