Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,762Gear list
Like?
Re: You let Nikon process
In reply to Mako2011, Mar 25, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

edo21 wrote:

I've read some very interesting post in this thread and would like you to consider this picture
that's a crop of a photo of my son at 1250 iso with the nikon 300/4 AF-S, very far from the perfect samples of this forum and much more similar tho worst samples of DPreview gallery.

Thank you.

I very nice picture but it does appear to be a very strong crop (half maybe) based on the image dimensions. For that reason the noise will be more apparent. Also, you shot the picture using ADL (active d-lighting) set to "auto". That means the image has been possessed greatly from what the RAW NEF non-ADL file would have looked like. You used manual exposure and if you centered the meter...then you underexposed by the ADL bias (up to a stop). You also let the camera/software change the brightness, contrast, and tone mapping. You also chose "Vivid" as your Picture Control setting so those processing biases are in place. The image, as presented, has been processed in many ways...some very strong. In this case you didn't make any of the processing decisions...the Nikon engineers did. You should have gone ahead and let them do a little Noise reduction as well.It would not have hurt and would have been keeping with your no processing theme.

Love the expression though. The composition is an excellent one.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Mister Mako, to what photography school did you go to???  Damm!!  You always come up with this SUPER SMART answers!  I want to go where you went! 

But from what edo21 says, he is kind of correct, based on dpreviews latest D7100 reviews.  The D7100 does have its limits at the higher ISO.  Very good at low ISO but not so great at higher where its performance drops for detail and color.  I've decided not to buy this camera.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lessNew
noneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow