Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Peter Jonas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,578
Like?
Re: It's unlikely to be the camera.
In reply to edo21, Mar 25, 2013

edo21 wrote:

Thank you for your replies.
There is no trolling here cause after spending 1.300 euros, in this moment in italy, i just expected something more from the nikon d7100.

I don't hate post processing, simply i don't like it, but i'm very able to manage files if needed.

My choice not to modify the pictures helped me to learn a lot about how to use a camera.

After hundreds thousands of shots with the D90 I can get what I expect, knowing that the usage limit for the D90 is ISO 400. I rent when i need D700 or D3s for works at 800 iso and more.

I shoot in NEF and all settings (all) are manual. I have thousands of stunning images taken with the D90 also in critical condition.
In some photos I posted here after trying the manual settings i tried the aperture priority. Up to now all the images that I use for my works are jpgs, converted and not modified NEF files with View NX
Again, this forum now iis full of D7100 pictures at 3200 ISO that appear perfect.
Unfortunately, these are not the results that I got.
What I would like to share with you is to know if after 5 years from the release of the D90 from a new camera concepts like the D7100 might be expected to arrive in 1600 with good iso files.

I also dislike PP and virtually never do it.

You will find that ultimately your D7100 will outperform your D90.

I had similar initial feelings when I upgraded from the D90 to the D7000. Had you had the D7000 you would have an easier task of getting your camera just right. I found that I had to do some experimentaqtion with the D7000 before my results were as good as they had been with my D90.

I personally dislike sensationalist subject lines, and that includes his one of yours too. It might have been more appropriate to say "How do you get good results in JPEG from the D7100 at high ISO?"

If you don't like PP then you have to put some work into setting up your camera the way you like it. Yes, this work may have been a bit less woth the D90, but from what I can see now, the D7100 should be able to give very goos result SOOC even in Higy ISO. And ISO1600 should not be a problem at all. It's around ISO6400 when the boys are separated from the men.

Ultimately RAW images PP-d with good skills might well give you a morepleasing image at high ISO. But don't fall for the notion the SOOC JPEGs cannot be pleasing, even stunning. They are also PP-d, but in camera with preset parameters. It is up to you to set those parameters, so that the camera will PP the image to your liking.

Just do the legwork first. An expactation that any camera will produce pleasing results out of the box is an unreasonable one.

Good luck getting on with your camera.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lessNew
noneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow