The X100s is far a better camera than the X100, but...

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
nawknai
Contributing MemberPosts: 958Gear list
Like?
Re: The X100s is far a better camera than the X100, but...
In reply to itairom, Mar 25, 2013

The hell is wrong with caver3d?  Getting a bit worked up over a reasonable post.

itairom wrote:

I'd like to see a comparison that demonstrates this difference. So far, I haven't seen one. I'm not saying that it's not true, just that I wonder how much of this is simply nostalgia and how much is really a visible difference in the images. The use of terms like je ne sais quoi leads me to wonder if it's really just nostalgia. The X100 was a remarkable camera that revitalized photography for a lot of people, so I'm not surprised that people find they still love it even after its 'replacement' hit the market. That kind of emotional connection tends to manifest itself in ways that are hard to quantify. It's still a great camera.

Exactly. Once I saw the phrase, "Je ne sais quoi", I couldn't take that opinion seriously anymore.

I've been an owner of the X100 for 2 years, and it's my favourite camera. I also own an X-Pro 1, so I have some experience with X-trans. I would be crazy if I said that I don't think the X100s is a better camera. If you ignore image quality for a second, the X100s will focus better, which means you'll miss fewer shots, fewer moments. The settings are easier to change due to the Q menu, and will cost you less time when you need to do so quickly. Similar camera body, but with improved control layout.

Then there's the image quality. The lens is the same, and the sensor is better in every metric except "je ne sais quoi".

The ONLY situation in which the X100 may be better than the X100s is if you were shooting RAW on the X100, and JPEG on the X100s. However, every few months, there seems to be fewer and fewer reasons not to shoot using RAW when using an X-trans camera. If you shot RAW with both cameras, the X-Trans output would be exceptional, or at least as good as the OG X100's sensor.

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow