EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,715Gear list
Like?
Re: EPL-5 with a single lens or FujiX100s
In reply to Dorus, Mar 25, 2013

Dorus wrote:

Thanks - appreciate the suggestion. So you would pick the 20 mm over the 17 mm pancake?

Dorus

Jorginho wrote:

It akes a lot of sense, providethat you realyant to by more lenses especialy. ow costs are your main thing. I don't know a lot about the sigma lenses for m43s. I have a 20 mm 1.7 Panaosnic and theIQ is fantasic, focusses reasonably fast and 20 mm on m43 is a good allround FL i think.

I like thoutput of the EPL5 a lot and use this combo a lot. rom ISO 3200 onwards you can get banding though...But this ISo range is rarely needed since thelens is pretty fast (f1.7).

The 17mm f/2.8 pancake isn't a great lens. The 20mm f/1.7 pancake is much better.  You just have to keep in mind the potential for banding at higher ISOs. Lower ISOs, too, if you brighten the files in post-processing later on.

A lot of people say the 20mm focuses slower, and I don't want to start an argument, but at least one forum member (Anders W) has performed systematic tests without finding any evidence to back up this claim. I'm not aware of any other tests that have been performed as well and have also suggest that the 20 mm does actually focus slower.

I use the 20mm on my E-M5 all the time - excellent lens, and I'm really fond of it, but I have been bitten by the banding issue more than once.

The Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 is another fast normal prime with an excellent reputation, although it is bigger than the pancakes.

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow