Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
gear1box
Contributing MemberPosts: 638Gear list
Like?
Re: Springtime In Shropshire.
In reply to Rod McD, Mar 25, 2013

Rod McD wrote:

Hi Kurt,

I understand - I made a move from DSLR use for overseas travel about two years ago. I still use my K5 and (too many) lenses, but I don't take them on extended trips. My choice was a G1X and I found a huge sense of freedom in travelling with an 'all-in-one' small camera. Yes I missed the DSLR on a few occasions, but not actually that many. I rationalised that I was not publishing or exhibiting my shots from a family holiday, but seeking well rendered memories. You don't need a DSLR and THE KIT to do that. And the truth is, I found that I could get more 'into' the holiday.

Enjoy Greece. Cheers, Rod

Rod --

I picked up a G1x last November and similarly have been really, really, impressed with it. One of its shocking strengths is the quality of the lens, and the excellent IS built in.  Really, for most "trip" use as you describe, it truly is more than adequate, and the (almost) APSC sensor generates fully satisfactory RAW files that i've printed at 16x24 with pleasure.

That said, i find it a dog to operate:  slow as pouring molassas, with a frustratingly limited focusing distance and "macro" mode.  I understand that the G1x is a Powershot platform, but these 'features' are frustrating.  But, really, trip photos usually aren't of action, are they?

My D7000 kit will remain the bees knees when i must get a maximum quality shot under difficult conditions.  The overall ergonomics, wireless flash, and lenses like my 14mm and teles will always have a place.  But gosh, the G1x goes everywhere else.

-- hide signature --

gary ray

Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for me.

gear1box's gear list:gear1box's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow