Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
oklaphotog
Contributing MemberPosts: 806Gear list
Like?
Re: Another picture for your comments
In reply to edo21, Mar 25, 2013

edo21 wrote:

I don't need to compare the images of my D90 with those of the new camera.
I know very well the limits of the first. I just expected 2 stop of better high iso performance after 5 years of innovation. Don't ask for a 3200 or 6400 clean results, just 1600.

Dpreview has now posted the samples of the D7100 that confirms exactly all the serious doubts i've on the high iso performance of this camera.

I've read some very interesting post in this thread and would like you to consider this picture
that's a crop of a photo of my son at 1250 iso with the nikon 300/4 AF-S, very far from the perfect samples of this forum and much more similar tho worst samples of DPreview gallery.

Thank you.

Compared to the D300S which has the same sensor as the D90, the 7100 looks better at a pixel level, and it would look even better when downsized to the same 12.3mp size as the D90/D300S. It's not 2 stops better in that comparison, but it is better than a D90.

Looking at the crop you just showed, it's about .5 stop under. Not enough to make a huge impact on noise, but every little bit helps. If you exposed it hotter (ETTR) and pulled it back during raw conversion, it would look a little better. Also try adding a touch of chroma and luma noise reduction during the raw conversion, for the web sized images you are using them for it would have little impact on sharpness. I don't use NX, but it's a 2 second process in ACR/Lightroom which has very good NR quality.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lessNew
noneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow