The X100s is far a better camera than the X100, but...

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,962Gear list
Like?
However, for some of us the IQ of the X100S does beat the X100...
In reply to caver3d, Mar 25, 2013

For me, it is all about IQ. And, as you say, the IQ of the X100s is not better than the X100. That's why I am staying with my X100.

caver3d

I should stop posting on this thread, but...

It is fine that some people really like the output from their X100. Some people even preferred it to the X-Pro1 and X-E1. I didn't.

In honesty I was a bit disappointed with the X100 sensor - while it was capable of great output, it lacked resolution and was too sensitive to exposure. It was clearly the same sensor I had in my A700 a few years back. The output had a habit of turning out a little too digital looking for my taste, less graduated colour transitions, lower resolution, closer to a M43s camera (particularly the E-P3) in output. The lens was excellent above F4 however and the overall package meant that I tolerated the weaknesses of the sensor.

The X100S addresses what I consider the weaknesses of the X100 sensor in every way. As far as I'm concerned the IQ is superior before you even factor in that the RAW support for the X100S isn't quite there yet. It's just that bit less digital looking to me.

Does all that mean I hate the X100? No, I liked it, but I did recognise its weaknesses. Are people allowed to prefer the X100 output? Of course, but none of us should assert our opinions as fact - they are after all merely subjective opinions.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow