Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,615Gear list
Like?
First impressions Nex 6
Mar 25, 2013

I bought a Nex 6 with the intention of modiying it for infrared and astro work. I thought I would use it for a while before I did that. I also have a Fuji XE1, Sony RX100 and a Nikon D800E.

The Nex 6 continues to impress me. It is obviously jam packed with the latest technology and I am finding there is nothing it can't do that has been addressed by Sony in some way.

The little 16-50 lens seems adequate and is nice and compact. Its easy to shoot the camera one handed which is good for snapshot type imaging. I also like the power zoom which is good for video. It does seem counterintuitive though in that you push it up to make it zoom out, it kond of feels to me it should be the other way round but that is really a nothing.

The tiltable screen has come in handy a few times and I can see it would be good for videoing as well.

The video quality and sound is simply superb and this Nex and my RX100 are my goto cameras for video. Sony video seems a long way ahead of others. Steady shot technology is brilliant and makes the videos look like they were shot on a tripod. The sound quality is surprisingly excellent. Fuji video is quite basic and sound quality is average to poor.

Image quality is high and seems similar to my Fuji XE1. Its a bit early to compare them yet but its similar.

AF seems great and I have not had any AF issues at all. Its just doing its job and seems fast and accurate.

The menu system at first seems like just a giant long list of everything with no categories buts it fine once you get used to it. Fuji's and Nikons is far superior though. It lacks organisation.

But the dials and magnify view are all well placed.

The EVF is very very good. I rate it higher than the Sony made EVF in the Fuji. Its clearer and easy to see in bright daylight. That's a big plus for EVF's - image review in bright daylight is easy with an EVF.

Sweep panorama function seems to work better than the Fuji version. Both are good, Sony's is better.

Build quality is high. Multiple shot noise reduction is good. I mean this camera can do anything.

The main advantage of the Fuji is the Fuji colour engine which is superb, the Fuji image quality which is unique and the absolutely superb Fuji lenses. The Fuji kit 18-55 with stabiisation is in another league to the Sony 16-50.

The Sony is nice and small and light. You can use it all day and it does not wear on you

Overall I am very impressed with the Nex and think its a superb camera and I cannot fault it at this stage of using it. Its made photographing with it a pleasant experience.

Greg.

Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D800E Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow