Food for thought - FF vs M4/3's cost

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,480Gear list
Like?
Re: Food for thought - FF vs M4/3's cost
In reply to papillon_65, Mar 25, 2013

I picked up a 5Dc last month and have a Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 attached to it. They've dropped in price since the appearance of the 6D and 5Diii. It's a nice camera, but it has confirmed that I have no real need for 135mm format. I've considered picking up the Rokinon 24mm, and 35mm primes just to have the fast wides that μ43 is currently missing. But I haven't yet simply because I can't justify it much. They'd only because for narrow DOF, not for low light.

I can't shoot the 58mm below 1/50th, but I can shoot the 25mm at 1/6th. That negates any high ISO advantage 35mm has (though the 5Dc doesn't have any of that to begin with against the E-M5 anyway...).

And narrow DOF wide angle is a pretty small niche anyway.

I'll stick with the E-M5 as my main camera. And I'll be happy for that for other reasons when I'm on 80km hikes this coming summer.

I've also found that a well-exposed E-M5 image(and thus doesn't require heavy PP) with a quality lens attached to it can be up-scaled to 32MP and still look absolutely superb.

-- hide signature --

--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow