mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,828Gear list
Like?
Re: Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO
In reply to fotolopithecus, Mar 25, 2013

fotolopithecus wrote:

Gary Fischman wrote:

edo21 wrote:

I don't hate post processing, simply i don't like it, but I'm very able to manage files if needed.

I shoot in NEF and all settings (all) are manual. I have thousands of stunning images taken with the D90 also in critical condition.

This makes somewhere close to zero sense. You don't post process, but you shoot RAW? Those two concepts are pretty much mutually exclusive. The "conversion to JPG" *is* post processing - the only difference is that you're accepting whatever defaults your software chooses. Your white balance, saturation, sharpening, etc. - *is* post processing.

Why would you ever want to shoot RAW if you're never going to post process? Its just a waste of storage space.

-- hide signature --

He's for lack of a better term, "a purest." He shoots raw because it contains all of the info, and he doesn't like adding subjective touches to it, so he leaves as is in its pristine, if somewhat blander state. I think I understand him, because I hold some of the same feelings, but I do minimally boost contrast, saturation, and sharpen where needed. I think what hes trying to do is accurately document what he sees. I could be full of it, but that's my guess on where he's coming from.

I'd tend to agree with this. The fact that edo21 moves from D90 to D700 to D3 (all 12MP cameras) when he wants to get better noise performance suggests that not only is he a "capture it right in camera" sort of photog but that he hasn't explored the computational possibilities of the higher resolution DX bodies. If one wants to maintain pixel-level noise quality at a constant resolution, then either a larger sensor or exposure stacking are the options you have available.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lessNew
noneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow