D800 and E-M5, can you tell the difference?

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
acahaya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,008
Like?
Re: D800 and E-M5, can you tell the difference?
In reply to Anders W, Mar 25, 2013

Anders W wrote:

acahaya wrote:

Thanks for the participation, Image 1: E-M5, Image 2: D800

Nice from all points of view. I like no. 1 (in the OP) better but guessed correctly which was which.

My husband guessed 10 pf 10 images correctly although he has absolutely no idea what we are discussing here. His explanation: "You know your own cam much better than the D800 and you concentrate on the model and the image when using your own cam. With the D800 your focus is on handling the cam and not on getting the bestvpossible image". He might be right

The difference to me is in the more digital look of the E-M5 (not only when using the 45/1.8).

I always wonder what people have in mind when they say "digital look", except that it's not something they cherish in spite of the fact that digital is by now arguably better than film in pretty much all regards. So what do you put into the term?

To me a digital look is perfectly OK. It suits me and my kind of pp. The fact that i think that i can see the difference might be related to my expectation of being able to see a difference. Maybe it is just an illusion  

I prefer the D800 iq even in non challenging studio conditions but can live very well with what the E-M5 delivers. Handling and AF were better on the E-M5 because the D800 had AF problems. I'd love to add a D800 to my equipment but would not give up the E-M5.

If you want, you can get rid of (or at least reduce) the technical weakness of the E-M5 shot relative to that of the D800 that I eventually spotted in the full-res images by means of the technique I describe here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51133125

Works on your studio light or on the camera, whichever way you prefer. I am afraid my test shots are not as nice as yours. On the other hand, there is less guesswork involved.

I read the article but didn't comment. Will give it a try for sure.

Sabine

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
ehhhNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow