Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,298Gear list
Like?
Re: It IS a big difference
In reply to Vlad S, Mar 25, 2013

Vlad S wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

Well to me a 1lb or two isn't a big difference but then I'm a fit and healthy 6' 2" 220lb man and not a wheezing pensioner, if I was it might be. It's all relative and I don't see a big difference between a Canon 5DII with a couple of primes and GH3/OMD and similar, neither are going to break my back or slow me down.

I am pretty fit as well, but for me, practical considerations favor a smaller and lighter system by a big margin. I wanted a system that is great for travel photography. I might be hiking the whole day, which means that I would be carrying my equipment the whole day. I travel where my friends invite me, and I do not know in advance what photographic opportunities I will encounter, not can I spend much time on choosing location and scene, because there are people waiting for me. That means zooms have a huge advantage for me, and I would like to be able to cover a wide range of focal lengths. I also have to carry my food, water, and clothes with me. It all adds up.

I have used a 5DII, and at the end of the day I indeed still could move about. But I was enjoying my trip a whole lot less than when I was traveling with µ4/3.

My point being, the system has been developed for reduction in size and weight, after the failure of the original 4/3. How can you get a fair hearing if you do not allow the court to consider this?

Vlad

I'm not sure how many times I can say that I acknowledge the size and weight advantage of m4/3's, especially telephoto, I am after all an m4/3's user myself. However, for my specific purposes (uwa, landscapes, reportage) there isn't much of a difference to me. Not everyone hikes and to be honest, when I want to travel light I have smaller cameras to use which have very good IQ.

-- hide signature --

For the person who is good with a hammer, everything in life tends to look like a nail.....
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow