Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John Crawley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116Gear list
Like?
FX200 vs D600
Mar 25, 2013

No this is not a head-to-head test. That would be silly. The D600 with its full frame 24 mp sensor would wipe the floor with our FZ 200's. But I just ran a series of shots from my Nikon D600 and my Lumix FZ200 off onto some Red River Metallic paper this weekend getting ready for a show. I was printing 11 X 14 prints using my Cannon pro9000 printer. (Let me say this new metallic paper is out of this world. WOW! It sucks up a lot of ink, but you'd think you had film prints...and black and white look like silver gelatin.)

As I loaded the finalists into my case, I began to notice that the majority of the pictures I was placing into the show were made from my FZ200. Not the D600. To be sure, there were a few fine shots from the Nikon...one especially cool that I shot with a Zeiss 21mm f.2,5 lens. It is as good a lens as I have shot with anywhere...with maybe the exception of our Leica 2.8 constant f stop zoom. But of the nine prints I made, six were from the FZ200 and three came from the Nikon.

Now I say all this for a purpose. I wasn't expecting the FZ to out perform the D600.  A contest wasn't even on my mind. I just wanted to see if the pictures from the Lumix would go to 11x16 and hold up well enough to stand against the D600.  They did. And in some cases even bettered it. I tried two shots even larger on a friend's giant format printer and...well lets say 11x 14 is right on the edge of sweet spot for the Lumix...I wouldn't push it any further. But an A4 or 8.5 x 11 or even the 11 x 16 were wonderful.

I spend so much time looking at my pix on a computer screen, I forgot how much fun and how delicious it can be to print them out and hold them in your hand. And the Lumix does not disappoint...even at the larger scale. Since I do not print many of my vacation shots (especially in large format; although, we do make vacation books) I now have the confidence to put the FX200 in the travel bag and not wag along the heavy and multi-lensed D600.

I'm glad I got this camera. It pleases me and surprises me everyday. I told some folks on the Leica forum that it reminded me of the output I used to get from my Leica Digilux 2. And I do not think anybody has ever bettered that camera or its twin the Lumix LC-1.

-- hide signature --

John Crawley
“Let there be light.” It all began right there.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wordsandsuch/show/
There are three kinds of people: those that are good at math and those that are not.

John Crawley's gear list:John Crawley's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X100T
Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow