NEX for Machu Picchu--would like your advice

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,926Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX for Machu Picchu--would like your advice
In reply to Brad Davis, Mar 25, 2013

Brad Davis wrote:

Hello all-I am not a regular here (usually over on the Nikon FX forum), but have been doing some searches in this forum today as I plan a trip to Machu Picchu next September. I will be doing the Inca Trail (4 day trek) and so the thought of hauling my Nikon D600 and lenses for the trek has me considering lighter options. Specifically, I am looking at something like an NEX-6 or 7 or perhaps a Fuji X100S.

Frankly, what I am trying to do is take the smallest/lightest possible package and yet maximize IQ. (Yes, I know, the age old problem!) This causes me to shy away from the NEX-7 a bit and look at the 6 with the 18-55 power zoom. Perhaps take that and call it good or really go light and take the fixed focal length X100S. (Budget is also a concern so RX1 is out of the question, but something like an NEX6 or 7 is within the price range.)

I've seen some nice photos here after searching for MP in this forum and so I know it can be done, just curious about the thought process/options some of you may have gone through under similar circumstances whether it be hiking the Inca Trail or other backpacking trips.

Any gotchas with the NEX system? I assume I would need to take several spare batteries. What about being out in the wet/cold?

Thanks for any comments.

I was at Machu Picchu last year, but did it the easy way, by train. Here's some pics I took with my NEX-7: http://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/sets/72157629903805637/detail/

I had the large SEL18200 lens, which is excellent, but I wouldn't advise it if you're backpacking.

To minimise weight and bulk, I might even advise something much smaller, such as the RX100.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow