Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,029Gear list
Like?
Re: Food for thought - FF vs M4/3's cost
In reply to NoTx, Mar 25, 2013

NoTx wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

I currently use the OMD mainly with the 12-35mm and 7-14mm and comparing the cost of the OMD and just the 12-35mm would take me past £1699. I also looked for a replacement for the 7-14mm and came across the 17-40mm F4 L lens, which is actually quite a bit cheaper than the 7-14mm. So if I wanted a full frame rig to replace my current m4/3's set up I could actually do it cheaper. The caveat being that I'd take a hit on size and weight.
I also looked for some prime lenses for the 5DMk2 and was surprised to find some very nice (and fast) prime lenses such as the 35mm F2, 50mm F1.4 and 100mm F2 which are also very reasonably priced.

Tony, sometimes you need to look at the quality. And while a lot of people love the 17-40L, the fact is an equal number probably consider it junk. I know I wouldn't shoot with it when I was doing film and using an EOS 3. The quality was so low, the distortion was visible... even in the viewfinder. If you want to compare something, remember that the 7-14 is more like a 14-28 in Full Frame land... and considered high quality. I would compare it closer to the 16-35/2.8. Just because wides have never been the Canon strong suit.

-- hide signature --

Rob aka NoTx...
-Always searching

Understood Rob, I've also read plenty of people saying it's as sharp as the 16-35mm and I've seen loads of images from it that look very good to me, I guess copy variation comes into play here. To be honest the purple flare issue on my 7-14mm isn't great either, much as I love the lens it is an annoyance.

-- hide signature --

For the person who is good with a hammer, everything in life tends to look like a nail.....
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow