Food for thought - FF vs M4/3's cost

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,236Gear list
Like?
Re: Food for thought - FF vs M4/3's cost
In reply to papillon_65, Mar 25, 2013

papillon_65 wrote:

Anybody else getting tempted? (I'm not really interested if you think it's big and heavy and you've "been there done that",I get the point, I'm more interested if you are tempted over to the dark side by these kind of prices and value.)

I am not tempted because I need a smaller and lighter camera that can shoot good videos easily and with fast AF+face detection to efficiently track my fast moving kids.  I do have a Nikon kit which is indispensable when flash photography is needed.

Indeed, if your priorities are IQ and price, there are better alternatives than the m4/3 system.  Some devoted m4/3 fans will argue that instead of the top of the line m4/3 cameras and lenses, you CAN put together a cheaper m4/3 kit; however, these people often do not try hard enough to find cheaper ff or APS-C alternatives.

We are paying a higher price for m4/3 gears in part because of the more limited production volume of m4/3 gears compared to Nikon and Canon.  Hopefully we can get cheaper lenses when Sigma and others start to make more lenses.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow