Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,478Gear list
Like?
Re: Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO
In reply to jonikon, Mar 25, 2013

I agree with you. This is not good at all. I have the D7000 and it does JPEGs much better with less noise at high ISOs than the D7100. As it is right now, it appears the D7100 is for RAW shooters only, and not a good choice for JPEG only shooters. I suggest the D7000 instead if you do not want to shoot RAW and post process for noise.

Here is an example of a D7000 out of camera JPEG (no additional noise reduction done), shot at 2800 ISO.

Out of camera D7000 JPEG, 2800 ISO

That is a nice shot and no question the d7000 is a strong performer at higher ISO, and even better from RAW and/or solid noise reduction software.  I've shot the d7000 a lot at high ISO and shot the 7100 this weekend and just my view it is no better or worse in general and perhaps easier to clean up above 3200.  You could get scientific and debate the numbers and the finer points at pixel level, but for similarly sized photos as above and apples to apples comparison I don't believe you would see much difference.

This was shot at ISO ~10,000 (Hi .5) JPEG and one button clean in topaz denoise.  There are some others in my gallery.  The ops photo is apples and oranges though.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lessNew
noneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow