tips on shooting underwater with NEX

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
kev777zero
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
Re: tips on shooting underwater with NEX
In reply to Gordon Pownall, Mar 25, 2013

Gordon Pownall wrote:

Hi I'm just a lurker around DPReview but spent many many years working in photo processing coming across many underwater shots like this from customers not terribly pleased with them. I think the answer is not in the hardware you're using to take the pics it's more a case of what you do with them post-processing wise. I took the liberty of taking one of your images and saved it and popped it into photoshop CS3 and did a couple of tweaks and got this.

What you have to remember is to get your colour balance/white balance adjusted to take out the heavy cyan/green effect of the water, this then has the effect of making the water almost look clearer. I then tweaked contrast as water seems to have the effect of lowering contrast, and I added some saturation again water seems to lower saturation. Not everyone's cup of tea but it's how I'd prefer to see your this image.

Wow that does make the picture much better! unfortunately I just got photoshop so I'm still unfamiliar with fixing around things. thanks for sharing your experience though!

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow