D7100 Owners: Test the left AF accuracy before you keep it!

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
photomunkey
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Re: D7100 Owners: Test the left AF accuracy before you keep it!
In reply to Kelly M Jones, Mar 25, 2013

Kelly M Jones wrote:

While I don't think his testing proves anything definitive, I think it's a good way to start checking basic AF functionality. If I test with a single lens and get blurry results when using different AF points aimed at the same part of the subject, then that would naturally lead me to trying other lenses. If the other lenses show the same problem such as using the left AF points, then I agree that the next step is a methodical and more controlled test using a test chart. It will be interesting to see the results if he chooses to do that.

The only place which will be testing this body further will either be CRIS Camera or a Nikon Service Center. It back-focuses on ALL outer 36 AF points with all 5 of my lenses, regardless of focal length, brand, distance to subject, or flat/3D subject.

Wally, I have already pointed out that I can take tack-sharp photos with this using the center point only and I take serious offense at the suggestion I have somehow "fooled" the AF system with these pics I have posted. I offered full size shots to you if you wish. At this point your opinion concerning test charts means very little to me. I don't shoot test shots, I shoot pictures and if blurry, I look to see why. I have shot nearly 2500 shots in three days. The conclusion is inescapable; my two D7100s haven't worked right and my D300 does.

If CRIS Camera tells me they can't touch it because Nikon says so, then I will return it to B&H like the first D7100. Life is too short to spend time shooting test charts. I have shown using just 1 AF point, using AF-S, that the outer points back-focus. I tested focus in Live View and can focus on point manually without lighting the confirm focus" rangefinder dot.  Conclusion:AF system is out of spec.

I am just letting people know what I found, so if they see a similar issue they won't think they are crazy. Believe me, or don't if you so choose. The pics are up: 3 different bodies tested with 4 different lenses, and the only "problems" are from the D7100 shots on the outer AF points.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RHL:New
wideNew
ParNew
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow