how to test a speedlight for issues?

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Vegasluvr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,102Gear list
Like?
Re: how to test a speedlight for issues?
In reply to PenguinPhotoCo, Mar 25, 2013

When the 540EZ flashes were top of the line, Canon reps told me not to shoot the flashes in multiple bursts. I used to fire them like 10 repeated shots at a time and I did get wide variances of exposures. Canon tech reps told me this is normal because the circuitry has to have time to recover.

I started firing my flashes at bursts of 3-4 maximum from then on. I told Canon they should design the hot shoe and flash boards to handle extensive flash firings but they said the capacitor would melt the circuit boards.

When I need to fire my flashes repeatedly I have a few sets of batteries ready and just switch them out but you also have to let the flash rest between firings. I know it is a hassle but those flashes weren't designed to fire off shots like a Speedotron or Metz.

Vegasluvr's gear list:Vegasluvr's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow