Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kelly M Jones
Regular MemberPosts: 405
Like?
Re: Serious doubts on the D7100 at high ISO
In reply to edo21, Mar 25, 2013

edo21 wrote:

Just had my d7100 on friday and tried it in various situations landscape, portrait with the wide tokina 11-16, 16-50 and the nikon tele 300/4 AF-S. I tried various combo at iso 400/800 and 1600 with most default settings or my usual settings near to default.
I've to say that, as you can see in the following samples, i find a lot of noise at 1600 iso (not good for me) while images look acceptable at 800 and 400 iso (even if i expected a lot more).
I've been shooting for the last 4 years also with a D90, that i consider for the price a great camera, for professional and business purposes.

I don't like the post processing of any photo, i consider the post processing something different from photography.
D7100 seems to be slightly better than the D90 at base iso (100/200) but not as expected.
I've read a lot of post in this forum with real world samples of the D7100 at 3200 iso that seem perfect or very very good and this was main reason for my D7100 purchase (one of the first in Italy). Honestly my results do not show all that perfection.
Maybe there's something I'm missing but, at the moment i can't say to be really satisfied.

Waiting for your comments and suggestions. Thank you

I don't see anything wrong with these photos from a camera/sensor standpoint. There's lots of details in the 100% crops. My suggestion is to take the same photo with both of your cameras using the same settings. Then re-size them to the same size or print them at the same size and compare them. The newer cameras have some significant advantages, but it may not be something you will see in normal viewing or printing. If that's the case for you, then return or sell your D7100 and be happy with your D90, it's a great camera too.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
lessNew
noneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow