D7100 Owners: Test the left AF accuracy before you keep it!

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
photomunkey
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Re: D7100 Owners: Test the left AF accuracy before you keep it!
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Mar 25, 2013

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

As they say "provide proof, or it didn't happen". http://www.flickr.com/photos/38350658@N04/8588751814/ D7100 with the 35mm f1.8G at f2.2. AF-S, single point only, spot metering, point of aim right on the two horizontal bars on the nose of the little train. The AF back-focus grows greater the farther out on the AF points you go. I've used the "rule of thirds" point for most of these, or the point just past that to ensure the plane of focus isn't being distorted by the lens at the extreme outer edges.

There is an issue, folks, and while I appreciate everyone's gung-ho "Yay Nikon" attitude, the sooner this is realized the sooner steps can be taken to fix it with the affected bodies. If I got a returned D7100 after them being on the market for a week, that points to an issue.

These snaps are not any proof of anything other than the fact that you don't have any idea how to test a lens. A flat focus chart in good light on a tripod, exposure delay, etc. is what you are guaranteed, and not much else, especially with the 35 1.8, about which you are approximately the three thousandth poster to put up the exact same stuff.

There almost certainly is no problem with your D7100. It has the same autofocus module, CAM3500 as the D800/D4 which is acknowledged worldwide as state of the art. Mako will give you the correct procedure for testing your lenses, as he has done literally hundreds of times on this blog. Listen and learn.

Mako just looked at my samples and agreed that I've seen issues with two bodies. Thanks for playing "blame the user" once again (just a little humor today as I'm feeling very sick here at home, not being mean).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RHL:New
wideNew
ParNew
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow