real d800 vs em5

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
MatsP
Contributing MemberPosts: 965Gear list
Like?
Re: Still haven't learned what's "real" about this comparison...
In reply to marike6, Mar 25, 2013

When I bought my E-M5 I didn't dream of it being as good as a D800. To me it's good enough if it can compete with the APS-C cameras. I had a Canon 40D which is a very good camera, some say it is the best IQ of all Canon APS-C so far, although only 10 MP. If I should believe DxO an E-M5 is better than a 40D and all other Canon APS-C, including the lastest ones. I think that is good enough and I don't have a need to compare with the best FF cameras.

On the other hand, comparing with APS-C sensors with the latest technology like those from Nikon and Sony, the E-M5 is that much behind that the difference in sensor size implicates.

Still it is interesting to see that the differences are not bigger than they are in real life.

Just for fun you can consult DxO to see how E-M5 competes with a little older FF models, also high regarded ones. You'll find it competes rather well, which may be to some comfort if you envy FF shooters. If a pro FF like 1Ds MkII rated 74 was good enough and the best you could get only eight years ago an E-M5 rated 71 should be good enough today. Amazing how fast sensor development is.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow