The X100s is far a better camera than the X100, but...

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sulis2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035
Like?
Re: The X100s is far a better camera than the X100, but...
In reply to sgoldswo, Mar 25, 2013

I too have just got an X100S, and it's definitely not a huge leap IQ-wise.

Not able to use the RAF files yet (haven't decided whether to go Lightroom or Capture1), but it will take some time to work out the best balance of settings to get the right JPEG files out of it... The inbuilt noise reduction is too aggressive, for sure (slight plasticy look).

Focusing is better, but still not 100%. I don't agree with the EM-5 comparisons - it's not that good - but in good light it's a huge improvement. It still hunts in low light, which is understandable, and can still do that infuriating Fuji thing of focusing on everything but the thing you're trying to capture. If you know what I mean.

Manual focus is way better, but again still not foolproof. The focus peaking is fine for some subjects, too distributed for others. The MF assist (zoom in) sometimes makes it hard to frame the shot, so I ended up turning it off. But the fly by wire MF works so much better than the X100.

I definitely appreciated being able to focus so much closer when not in Macro mode - I only used MF on my X100 because the crossover was so restricting!

But... I suppose I was expecting to adore the X100S, rather than just appreciating it. If anything, it's made me realise how good the X100 was, faults and all. I'm really not sure whether I'll be keeping the X100S now - but I've got a few more days before I have to decide, so I'll give it a chance for now...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow