Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,898
Like?
Jumping ship to Canon...
Mar 25, 2013

**Before i start, this is not an inflammatory post, i'm not a troll and am not looking to generate arguments.**

I used to own a D700, 24-70 2.8, 70-200mm VR I, 50mm 1.4 AF-S, 60mm 2.8 Macro, 2x SB-800... so not by any means someone who is a stranger to spending a bit of money on gear but sold it all due to buying my first house and needed the money to do some home improvements.

I'm now in the position where i want to get back in to the game but i just can't seem to find a nikon that suits me.

D4 - too big, and expensive.

D3x - to big and expensive.

D3s - too big and getting a bit old in the tooth in terms of resolution, DR and slightly behind high ISO noise when compared to the current range of FX sensors.

D3 - Same as the D3s

D800/e - Right size, but i can't see that need for 36mp and the file size/processing power needed to edit RAW files is also a concern, add in the QC reports for the left focus points and i'm not prepared to take the risk of buying a £2000+ camera with the knowledge it could potentially have a fault.

D700 - Nice camera, but second hand prices are just too high to justify spending £1200+ on a good used unit with technology that is approaching 5 years old, having only 12MP, only 12 EV of DR and a stop behind the current FX cameras at higher ISO's.

D600 - On paper this looks like the answer but regardless of whether it's considered an "entry level" full frame camera or not, it's still a £1400 camera and as a result should not have QC control issues with oil/dust. I also don't like the idea of having the same AF system as the D7000 that is currently available for £550 since the introduction of the D7100.

D7100 - This looks like a nice camera for sports/wildlife shooters, but i'm really looking for an FX camera, as i value high ISO output over the extra reach. I was hoping that Nikon had pulled something magical out of the bag and pushed the DX envelope in terms of high ISO but alas it's no better than the D7000/D5200.

Then there's the lenses, my first lens would be a general walk around however the nikon 24-120 is just not optically good enough to justify its £800 price tag.

So... this brings me to the Canon 5D mk III. 22 megapixels high enough resolution with good balance between pixels and manageable file size, mid-sized body, good image quality at high ISO output, to my knowledge no QC issues and the 24-105 F4 looks like a fantastic lens. The only downside i can see is the flash system doesn't seem to get as good reviews as Nikon's

Thoughts?

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon D3X Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow