Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ray Santajuana
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Theft resistant wrist and neck/sling strap recommendations
Mar 25, 2013

Hello, I would like to share a story that I'm afraid some of us have had happen to us and would like your recommendations for a solution.  One day a thief attempted to steal my DSLR by grabbing my strap (OEM Nikon strap), which I wear diagonally, from behind me.  The strap broke at the keyring (the metal ring that attaches the nylon webbing to the strap mount on the camera) and he almost got away except that when I was holding on to the camera and he was trying to wrestle it from me, the other keyring broke as well and he took off after losing a grip on his target.

My question is this:  Can those folks who have had a similar experience recommend a neck/sling strap and a wrist strap that is durable enough to not break at the first instance of stress on the part where it meets the mounting lugs?  I have a DSLR and a compact and have a strap for each but now I'm really worried that any strap I put on would not withstand someone just suddenly grabbing it.

I know I probably should not have struggled with him in case he had a buddy or maybe even a weapon but it all happened in less than 30 secs and I didn't have time to think before it was over.  If the sling hadn't broken in the first place he may have just given up sensing that he'll have to take me with him to get my camera.

If you or someone you know have had a strap go through something similar and not break please let me know the model/brand so I can look into it.  And if this has been discussed before I apologize and could you please point me to the thread because I tried searching but too many hits with the word "strap" that are not relevant to what I'm looking for.  Thanks in advance.

Ray

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow