Upgrading Kit-Lens to "L" Lens

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Questions thread
Port Royal Dad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,666
Like?
Understand your shooting needs.
In reply to ArchiDeos, Mar 25, 2013

ArchiDeos wrote:

:-)Hey Guys.. Need some advice here. I'm new as everybody says, I'm planning to sell my 7D kit-lens EFS 18-135mm f/3.5-5 IS this coming summer and hopefully buy the L series lens Canon has to offer and to maximise the 7D Body capability and of course for a everyday walk-around Lens. I know most of our readers here are pro or semi-pro and they know what they are talking about base from their experience. I red a lot of Lens review from the web but if possble I want the real word to comment on this. The new L lens "24-70mm f/2.8L II USM" got my attention, but the price is not reasonable on budget at this time cause I'm planning also to buy the nifty fifty 1.4 for video and for a telephoto lens, 70-200mm f/2.8L early next year for a schedule vacation. Thanks in advance.. and keep up the good reviews DPR..

I would recommend that you closely evaluate your shooting needs, eg, events, lighting conditions, indoors/outdoors, shooting position (fixed focal, zoom), constant aperture, etc.

Carefully read, and print out various lens reviews, and use a big-ol orange or yellow highlighter and make a list of the pro's and con's that the lens has to offer, and how it fits your shooting needs.

Here's a very good site that has well written reviews for lens'. The Digital Picture Dot Com

Perhaps you want a lens with a constant aperture? A zoom lens perhaps has a lot more versatility than a fixed? Do you need a lens with IS?  Do you need a lens with a wide aperture?

Just because you have an expensive "L" lens attached to your camera for all the world to see and admire, this will not make your shots an over night sensation, or turn you into a professional sensation. You reallly need to have a good grasp of the basics of exposure, lighting, and composition....for example.  Understand these, and how you need a lens (it's a tool by the way), choosing one then becomes a lot easier.

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

B.R.A.S.S. (Breathe, Relax, Aim, Sight, Squeeze)
http://lh5.google.com/PortRoyalDad/Rwu_WzPG87I/AAAAAAAAAnU/fC0kmv_nhY0/s144/IMG_1479.JPG
A Link To - WilbaW's Unofficial Rebel Forum FAQ- http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow