MS Security Essentials and Windows Defender

Started Mar 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,472Gear list
Like?
Comodo install
In reply to skyglider, Mar 25, 2013

So I literally njust completed a re-build of my daughters failed machine with a new hard drive.  So I decided to install comodo antivirus to see what would happen.  (Had to remove the NOrton 2004 that re-installed!)

I ran the install trying to pay close attention to the program.  I unchecked everything on the first string that it was asking do to.  Clicked next and instead of a custom install, I defaullted for the express or whatever it was.

I got 6 additional icons on the desk top as others have stated.  The program ran and up popped Geekbuddy "You have a problem".  I selected I would handle this manually and to not show this again.  It completed its scan and popped up again with the same error and desire to contact "geekbuddy" for assistance.  Agaoin I selectd do not show again and that I would handle it manually.  The file it did not like was an HP file that was legiit.

I have turned off the widget in the upper right and wil now install some things and see what happens.

Yes it would appear, that having selected the express install as most folks would do, has reulted in the install of these other products.  And yes it does appear that they are attempting to make money.  But then again how would anyone expect them to pay for R&D to develop?

I understand how folks would not like this, but unlike a malicious malware, your machine is not held hostage to a guy across the sea.

Will report more as time passes!

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow