D800 and E-M5, can you tell the difference?

Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
acahaya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016Gear list
Like?
D800 and E-M5, can you tell the difference?
Mar 25, 2013

After all those discussions about the difference between the images taken with a D800 (24-70/2.8) and a E-M5 (45/1.8) i am sure that the experts here can tell me which image was taken with the D800 and which one was taken with the E-M5. I can see the difference but i also know which is which because i took both of them :-D.

This is not a real comparison because i did't want to change the light setup and had to shoot with rather different camera settings. I also didn't manage to get two identical poses at the same distance from the strobe but imo at least two comparable images.

What i did was to crop the D800 image to 4:3, adjust the WB on both images, adjust exposure on the D800 (-0.33 for the same overall brightness) and export both images downsized to 4000x3000, no sharpening and 80% jpg quality. I also added a watermark, sorry for that but unfortunately necessary.

A full size D800 image naturally has much more detail and we also do not need to discuss the fact that there also is much more latitude regarding post processing, not only for HIGH ISO but also when shot at base ISO. But to me even a resolution of 4000x3000 is easily usable for A2 prints and i am always baffled when i read comments that the E-M5 images are OK for holiday snapshots and web size resolution.

Have fun deciding, this should be easy ...

Sabine

Image 1

Image 2

Credits: Model - Opelia Overdose, Outfit - Miss Overdose

BTW:

I do not own a D800 but every now and then i wonder if i shouldn't get one. I still fondly remember my D200 and in very bad cases of GAS i usually shoot some images with a friend's D700 and now D800 and compare for myself. If Nikon called today and asked me if i'd like to use a D800 and 24-70/2.8 for free i'd say YES YES YES, thank you very much. If i had clients asking for very high resolution images, i'd probably buy one tomorrow. But for what i'm doing )printing A1 on Alu Dibond), the E-M5 and some good glass is perfectly OK and my wallet and back are happy too.

-- hide signature --

acahaya's gear list:acahaya's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
ehhhNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow