tom1234567
Regular MemberPosts: 329Gear list
Like?
Re: Tom ...
In reply to Lloydy, Mar 25, 2013

Lloydy wrote:

tom1234567 wrote:

Lloydy wrote:

... I've spent a couple of days playing with settings on my Fujifilm HS50 EXR and the settings below are what I have ended up using for the present.

The reason I say that is that I am not overly satisfied with the results I am getting with the Jpegs and some more experimentation is needed. I have not processed any Raw images yet.

My main complaint is lack of detail in the images. By the way, for those who are wondering about the focus speed, I am finding it focuses faster than the HS30 EXR and shot to shot times leave no complaint.

Anyhow, the settings :
ISO - 1600 (Auto)
Image Size - M 4:3 (Like most EXR cameras, shooting at M size produces benefits. The main one is less noise)
Image Quality - Fine + Raw (I always shoot Raw but am only using the Jpegs in the examples which will follow)
Dynamic Range - DR 200
Film Simulation - STD (Provia) (Normally I shoot Astra but for now Provia)
White Balance - Auto
Color 0
Tone 0
Sharpness +2
Noise Reduction 0
Photometry - Average
AF Mode - Tracking
Electronic Level - On
Exposure Compensation - Minus 0.33EV

Examples next post

-- hide signature --

Dave

could you explain please why ISO - 1600 (Auto) from what I have read high ISO means more noise

so why not use 1so 400 would that not produce less noise etc etc

Tom G

-- hide signature --

I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 62yr old body

... You are quite correct that the higher the ISO, the more noise. This is especially true with these type of cameras with small sensors.

However, as I post process all my images (not the examples shown here though) I have plenty of tools, and decades of experience, to help me deal with noise.

My rationale with using ISO 1600 (Auto) is that I want to be prepared for whatever lighting situation I encounter without having to constantly adjust ISO. This is simply for the type of shots I do.

If I were, for example, shooting landscapes I would set the ISO to, say, ISO 100 for maximum image quality.

To give you an idea, I shot 162 images this morning and with the ISO 'floating' all bar 22 were under, or at, ISO 400. For those over, most were at ISO 500, 640 or 800 and two at ISO 1000, and two at ISO 1600.

If you do little post processing, then it would be better to set the camera to ISO 400 (Auto), or ISO 800 (Auto).

Hope this explains things.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Thanks  Lloydy for the explanation

Tom G

-- hide signature --

I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 62yr old body

tom1234567's gear list:tom1234567's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-S1 Samsung NX1 Nikon D750 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow