Why does this happen and is it avoidable in Lightroom?

Started Mar 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,115Gear list
Like?
Re: Why does this happen and is it avoidable in Lightroom?
In reply to GideonW, Mar 25, 2013

GideonW wrote:

To all the posters trying to explain the difference between RAW and JPEG: It is highly unlikely that this is the problem because what you see in Lightroom is already a rendered JPEG (as you can't 'see' the RAW picture). The exported JPEG file should look identical to what you see in Lightroom.

Thanks for pointing that out, I may have misunderstood the OP.  It's not clear to me from the OP whether:

• the raw images look different in Lightroom compared to camera-produced jpegs,
  • or whether raw images look different in Lightroom compared to the jpegs exported from Lightroom. 

In the latter case I'd agree with you, it sounds like a colour management issue.

However, I'm not sure I understand your comment "what you see in Lightroom is already a rendered JPEG".  That isn't always right.

1. In Develop Module, you're looking at a ProPhoto RGB rendering of the raw, which is not a jpeg, and has never been through jpeg encoding. 
  2. In Library Module, you're looking at an Adobe RGB preview, which is stored as a jpeg. 
  3. An exported jpeg is going to be a different rendering (depending on export settings), often in a third colour space (sRGB). 

All three should look the same, provided colour management is working.  Or, to get picky, they will look the same on a normal gamut monitor, approximating to sRGB.  On a wide-gamut monitor, with images containing large areas of very highly saturated colours, those saturated colours (and only those saturated colours) may look a bit dull in an exported sRGB jpeg.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow