real d800 vs em5

Started Mar 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,441Gear list
Like?
Image Resource comparisons are of limited value
In reply to Adventsam, Mar 25, 2013

And in any case, checking the more subtle areas of the image, the E-M5 loses out badly.

But in real life, taking real photos, I find that for anything that isn't clear cut, bold, and in bright primary colours, the OMD doesn't compare to the D700 (and presumably the D800) at higher ISOs.

The OMD has lots going for it, I carry mine with me whenever I can, and given good light am very happy with the results.  But much above base ISO the IQ degrades, lines get fuzzier and subtle contrasts get lost.
There are some situations where ISO 3200 is adequate (though never FF standard), but mostly I try to keep well below ISO 800.  Which is often difficult in our North of England winter.

Just because we like something doesn't require us to blind ourselves to its shortcomings.

Adventsam wrote:

Rens wrote:

I made the comparisons with APS-C, D5200 and 24mp FF, OMD is better than aps-c 24mp d5200 and on a par with a FF D600, all the way to iso 6400

This is nonsense. Whatever its strengths, my OMD doesn't get anywhere near my D700 above ISO 1600. I don't believe the D600 is so much worse than the D700 at high ISOs

Above, d5200 left em5 right, iso6400

-- hide signature --

Rens
There are optimists and there are realists

Rens's gear list:Rens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow