Started Mar 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?
thoughts about the NX300
Mar 25, 2013

I won't get my copy just yet and not til next week. so what I can share are some observations from 3rd party sources and my personal opinion and a bit of speculation regarding the NX300.

in terms of High ISO performance, it is somewhat of a mixed bag. some results show it is as good as the NEX5n and some with the A99 (at certain ISOs) which I'm very cautious to even form a conclusion about due to the credibility of the source. what is certain however is that the camera is free of that destructive NR at ISO 6400. jpegs seems to be a revelation as high as ISO 3200. not a jpeg shooter, but I would certainly welcome shooting at burst or doing action photography with 30 fps.

shutter responsiveness seems to be very promising based on the youtube videos I have seen recently today. it's about 0.3 or half a sec faster than the NX200. shutter delay is also shorter by 0.2-0.3 sec by my estimation. which would bring the camera to about almost 1 sec faster than it's predecessor. very good sign. processing lock-up no longer appears. seems to be bigger buffer this time and faster processing and write times to the memory card. would be interesting to know how if a UHS card is necessary or a Class 10 card would do. on the otherhand, I'm very pleased that shutter lag has been addressed.

AF responsiveness appears to really lock instantaneously. very fast, but would like to see how it performs with the bigger lenses. focus tracking finally which is great news.  I think Samsung is trying to catch Usain Bolt with this camera. several or multiple AF options to choose from and seem to perform very well on their intended purpose or pros.

MF - still hated the fly by wire focusing with the pancakes, but hopefully the focus peaking would make life much more easier this time. for legacy lens lovers, rejoice. your prayers have been answered.

so far, the remaining question is, whether there is a significant IQ improvement over the previous NX models or not? whether the Drime 4 engine truly improved the jpegs and ISO quality or not? other than these questions, the NX300 pretty much answered the complaints on the NX200.  it's only a matter of time if the camera would turn a lot of heads or would interest a few slowly.

Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow